Sunday, December 5, 2010

Reflection

What do you see when you look in the mirror? Most people would answer simply, "myself". But I'm asking you to look deeper. Look at your expression. Do you like the way you look? I know quite a few people who don't. People who dye their hair, starve themselves, and wear pounds of makeup. I have to admit, though, I am quite fond of eyeliner.

What is appearance? What makes a person attractive physically? The answer is different for everyone, because everyone has their own mind and eyes. For the same reason, everyone likes different colors, though like people, there are some colors that almost everyone finds appealing, and vice versa. Sometimes, as I'm sitting in class, I'll look over at the person next to me and wonder what they're thinking about. It's hard to do, though, as everyone thinks differently and holds a unique aspect on life.

The strange thing I've found is that the slightest change in someone's appearance can change their level of attractiveness. For example, the "hot guy" in my grade at school will get a haircut and all the girls will be crying because he's lost his appeal. It's a little pathetic, but it does go to show how little of a change can make a big difference. Usually, though, people don't realize that. They deck out their face in makeup, or they dye their hair a completely different color, while the suttlest change probably would have done the trick.

So many people these days are extremely under confident, though it's much more noticable in girls. I'm one of the lucky ones; I'm happy with the way I look. But in most cases, girls need reassurance, so they start what I call, "fat fights". One girl will loudly exlaim, sometimes out of nowhere, "Oh my gosh, I'm so fat!" And her best friend, usually only a few feet away, will come to her rescue by saying, "No, you're so much skinnier than me. I'm the fat one!" The first girl will continue, "I'm so fat and ugly, and you're so pretty! I wish I was you." It goes on... And on... And on... And it really bugs the crap out of me. I mean, I understand it, I just get annoyed by it.

But what more is appearance than a description? It doesn't define who you are unless you let it. Someone out there loves you for you, and not just because of the way you look. Society gets so caught up in being attractive that some people never step back and look at the big picture and think, "What does it matter?" Hopefully, you can accept your flaws. Truly, I believe that's the secret to happiness; accepting who you are and your purpose here on Earth. Let me know what you think about appearance and happiness in the comments. I'm outta here.

1 comment:

  1. Melinda, I wish I could say that I was as happy with myself as you are. Unfortunately, that's not the case. Hopefully I can set aside my insecurities like you. You're real brave. Love you.

    ReplyDelete