Saturday, November 27, 2010

Beatles Forever

For all of you Beatles fanatics out there, you may have noticed that my URL, SeeTheWorldSpinningAround, is one of the lines in The Fool on the Hill by the Beatles. Now I know they're a little before my time, but I still enjoy the music they made years ago. They made a fair amount of decent songs, with quite a variety, setting them up for songs that would last for decades.

The British quartet, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, were together for ten years from 1960 to 1970. It's amazing how much they were able to accomplish in so little time, as they recorded 208 songs. Some of my favorites are well known, including Eleanor Rigby, All My Loving, and obviously, The Fool on the Hill. Though I like their varied style, I tend to enjoy the sadder songs, such as A Day in the Life. But it just goes to show; The Beatles have something for almost every music genre.

Though The Beatles are great, their fame is dying out. I'm twelve, and very few people my age have heard their songs, let alone they could never recognize a line from one. When I find one of my peers enjoys their music as much as I do, though, I give them a high-five. We're pretty rare, twelve-year-old Beatles lovers, so when it's the annoying, loud kid who shares fondness for the older band, it's a little depressing. At first, you're excited, but then, as they conversation you struck up with them is starting to get on your nerves, you consider it a failed attempt and regret starting the conversation. On the plus side, though, more often then not the young Beatles fan is very likeable.

What is it about The Beatles that caused them to collect many fans? Was it the catchy bass lines? The strange lyrics that take you days to figure out? The variety and difference in their songs? All of it, I guess. I personally like their sound and how it's different from everyone else's. And you gotta admit, the bass lines are pretty sweet.

I suggest, if you haven't heard any of The Beatles' songs, to search them on Youtube. Better yet, they just recently released Beatles songs on iTunes, which made me very happy when I found out. Just warning you guys who haven't heard them yet, they're different than the music today, though they kinda remind me of Lady GaGa in the way that their songs can be kinda out there, even though they sound nothing like her.

I remember one of the first Beatles songs I heard. Is that obsessed? I hope not. Anyway, I took When I'm 64 to a liking when I was younger. I still like it, but I've found other songs of theirs that I like better. Eleanor Rigby is definately one of my favorites. I know I mentioned it before, but I even figured out how to play it on the saxophone.

All in all, The Beatles are pretty cool. Check them out if you haven't heard their songs in your free time, which is probably now, seeing as you're taking the time to read this post. However, if you are a current fan of The Beatles, leave your favorite song of theirs in the comments. I'm outta here.

5 comments:

  1. A Beatles fan you knowNovember 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

    Hard to pick just one, but I'm going with "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey".

    ReplyDelete
  2. John Lennon. xD He was in the Beatles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both my brother and I really like "Twist and Shout" just because it's a vary fun tune to dance and sing along to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "All My Loving" always puts me in a good mood whenever I hear it- so does "Can't Buy Me Love".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Melinda, we are two of a kind! I, too am a Beatle fanatic and proud of it. I've always liked them, but really fell in love with them after seeing Cirque du Soleil's LOVE in Las Vegas and since have been obsessed. At that time, itunes didn't have their music, so I found what I could and think I may actually have every album, plus interviews, books & A Hard Day's Night movie. We should def get together & I could share the stuff I have. A few books I have include detailed stories of the origins of the songs. The boys even have 2 Beatles Lullabye cds, which sets Beatle tunes to lullaby style
    It's so hard to pick my favorites, but I also tend to like the sadder songs. Amoung my favs: Elenor Rigby, A Day in the Life, Black Bird, Let It Be, Yesterday, Something in the Way She Moves and Here Comes the Sun (great to listen to lift the spirit)

    ~Your cousin Katie :)

    ReplyDelete